Have you seen this moth?

Wanted: Lyssa zampa
Six years ago, Singapore saw an unusually large number of Lyssa zampa – big, gray, swallow-tailed moths – appearing all over the place. Starting then, and every year since, N Sivasothi from the National University of Singapore has been asking his friends and online followers to report any sightings. He is keeping tabs on how the number of observations of this species varies from year to year, blogging about it every now and then.

Last week, I spotted the one pictured here at the Science Centre, and this seems to have been the first sighting this year. Have you come across any of these beautiful moths recently?

14 responses to Have you seen this moth?

1. Tess says:

it’s May 2014 – and I just photographed one inside my son’s room. I rescued him and released him outside.

• Mothspotter says:

There are over 500 today sticking to the entrance lobby walls and windows of samsung hub and other buildings around church street.

2. Kiat Teng says:

Seems like there are really a lot of sightings lately!

I saw them twice at my block last week too!

3. Soh Hoon says:

Spotted one at Bukit Timah Hill on 19/5
    N another at Bukit Batok St 52.
    Another friend spotted one at Rain Tree condo

4. Charles says:

Just saw it flying out from the lift lobby at my block when I am returning home in the day, at Bukit Merah Central.

5. Chris says:

Three more sighted, two near Kent Vale at NUS (22 May) and another at UTown (21 May).

6. Gavin jones says:

Got one right now in my garden in Bedok Ria, keeps on trying to get in the house, flew in on Monday and I released it out, but keeps on coming back.

7. Nic says:

Seeing lots of Lyssa Zampa since last week, all along Anson Rd, Shenton Way and Amoy St. They are so beautiful. They keep finding their way into the buildings, and I keep taking them back out 😉