The fly on the wall

The Science Centre offers some great opportunities to get in touch with nature. There are the obvious ones, like our monthly Nature Discovery Trails, or a visit to the Ecogarden. Then there are the more subtle ones, like watching the chicks hatch in the Discovery Zone. But the most memorable encounters with wildlife are the unscripted chance events that take you by surprise.

I certainly didn’t expect to be communing with nature when I stopped by the washroom on the way home the other day. But there it was, looking at me while I was doing my business – a curious yellow fly, sitting on the glass divider. Just a fly, you might think, but I’d never seen any fly like it. We looked at each other for a while, and then I decided to use my phone camera for a close-up inspection.

Fly

That opened up a whole new perspective, and I discovered that the fly had a big, fleshy “tongue” (proboscis) that it was slowly sticking out and pulling back. Other than that, it didn’t move, and after a while I moved on and went home.

I don’t know what kind of fly that was (and it probably knows even less about me), and I don’t know what it was doing there, but I was pleased with my little discovery. It doesn’t take much to connect with nature; we just have to be a bit observant and open minded enough to accept that a fly on a wall is as much a part of nature as some rare bird in a tree.