Isn’t she lovely
Isn’t she wonderful
Isn’t she precious
Less than 150 minutes old…

Atlas Moth taken with my digicam

Okay, so that last line of Stevie Wonder’s ‘Isn’t she lovely’ song I made up.. but hey, our Atlas Moth is out!

What a little beauty! And it all happened… six days into our little ‘big brother’ experiment of training a webcam on a couple of Atlas Moth pupae!

Side profile of the Atlas Moth. Source: Andy Giger

Here’s a select snapshot of what unfolded in the hours of about 9pm-11.30pm last night.

It crawled out of its cocoon via a small hole and spread its wings over a two and a half hour period

By no means amongst the largest Atlas Moths, this one (whose sex is yet to be determined) marks the first successful effort to document the emergence of a moth in Science Centre’s very own backyard-an experience I won’t be forgetting anytime soon!

Posted by:Thomas Danny Jeyaseelan

I've been working for over 7 years at Science Centre Singapore... a place I've come to call "home" where science befriends and transforms me day by day! I love communications and this blog has given me a terrific opportunity to express myself in writing. I continually aspire to engage the community through my contributions. And would love to hear back from readers like you if you have something interesting to share (please leave a comment!). That would really encourage me! Am also looking forward to hitting the centennial mark with 100 posts. Am nearly 70% there. ;) I hope you have a great online experience on Stir-fried Science, enjoy all science has to offer, and be inspired to make or be the difference you wish to see in the communities you find yourself in.

7 replies on “Crikey… What a little beauty!

1. According to Wikipedia, the Cantonese name translates as “snake’s head moth”, referring to the wing, which bears a resemblance to a snake’s head. Can you spot the snake’s head?

Like

1. Interesting find and sharing Ling Ling! Looks like the ‘snakes’ are right on the tips along the upper edges of the moth’s wings.

Like

2. Looking at the feelers of this beautiful creature, I would say this is a male.
    Not sure what Stevie would have done with that…. ; )

Like

1. You’re probably right Andy! Given our discovery this morning that the males tend to have ‘bushier’ antennae. As for Stevie, I’d imagine he’d probably go… “Isn’t he lovely, Isn’t he wonderful, Isn’t he precious…” : )

Like