“Let’s Grow Veggie!” 102

It has been a full 6 months since I first took home from the inaugural Singapore Mini Maker Faire the baby lettuce in the little paper cups. See my previous blog about the baby lettuce plant.

After 5 months and 3 rounds of harvests, I observed little buds indicating signs of blossoms just one day before 2013. I was excited and have been monitoring the development for the past one month and eagerly reading up about it. I also learnt that when a vegetable plant starts to flower, it is called bolting. It means the leaves will become too bitter to eat. I felt a little sad at the point in time!

Here is a photo blog of my potted plant of baby lettuce and its yellow flowers which are so tiny. They do not grow beyond this size and after a while, the yellow turned into white.

31 Dec 12 – First sight of an unusual new sprout
5 Jan 13 - 6th day since the first observation of the unusual "sprout". Though they were still tiny, I could count around 7 buds.
8 Jan 13 – More tiny buds appear. I felt very excited and couldn’t wait for the flowers to bloom.
11 Jan 13 - 12th day since appearance of the bud: The first sight of yellow!
13 Jan 13 – Appearance of the second yellow flower
16 Jan 13 – More cheery yellow
18 Jan 13 – Notice there were many tiny leaves that had sprouted along the stem. Along with the tiny leaves were appearance of more tiny buds!
30 Jan 13 - Dainty white
30 Jan 13 - See the white and yellow together in one single bud

In another 6 months’ time, the next Singapore Mini Maker Faire will be here again. I wonder what I will bring back then. 🙂

4 responses to “Let’s Grow Veggie!” 102

1. Danny says:

If I was a vegetarian, I might have just licked the images off the screen! Great screen shots KT!

Like

2. Kiat Teng says:

Thanks Danny!

Unfortunately, the leaves are really bitter once the plant starts to flower (the process of bolting).

Like

3. Kiat Teng says:

Hi Agatha, thanks for dropping by and leaving a note. Really appreciated. 🙂

I saw the pictures of your butter lettuce online. They are looking really good! I’m sure you are able to grow them well. 🙂

Looking forward to read more updates from you!

Like