Earth Hour – What is your personal report card?

March and April tends to set most of us thinking more about Mother Earth, in view of all the rave about Earth Hour and Earth Day. Like what I mentioned in my earlier blogs (Earth Hour – What does it mean to you?) and (Reflection over the Earth Day), these are just symbolic events while the day-to-day actions are more meaningful and useful. Hence, it is great when campaigns also calls for going beyond the “Hour” and more lasting action.

Some say that conservation efforts are already too late to remedy the harm that has been done. I say not all is lost yet. Every single efforts will help to delay the climate change process and in time to come, the upstream efforts will reap results downstream, if there is concerted effort.

Personally, I take all these sudden interest and discussion about conservation as a reminder to my own actions. I remind myself that simple steps on a daily basis will contribute to conservation in the long run, to shut down the laptop at the end of the day, to switch off the power supply to all electrical appliances when they are not in use, etc. I am glad that I have slowly turned this into a habit. The key is to take small steps.

You probably already knew that appliances draw energy from power sockets even when they are left on stand-by.

This is the Power Aware Cord of the Climate Change exhibition (Science Centre Singapore).  The power aware cord glows when appliances are left on stand-by. It glows brighter as an energy intensive appliance draws more energy.
This is the Power Aware Cord of the Climate Change exhibition (Science Centre Singapore).
The power aware cord glows when appliances are left on stand-by. It glows brighter as an energy intensive appliance draws more energy. Click to share on Facebook.

Simple actions matter too. Share this to remind your friends and family how they can conserve energy by switching off their electrical appliances when not in use!