My humble attempt to grow corn seeds

“I wonder whether they will germinate.”

These words made me ponder too, at the bowl of leftover corn seeds soaked overnight for a Show-and-Tell session by some students.

Germinated corn seed
Germinated corn seed

Two days later, I noticed these! By then, the corn seeds had already been soaked in the water for roughly five days.

I was amazed!

The last time I saw something grow from a seed to a seedling was during my Primary School days, when my Science teacher asked us to grow bean sprouts from green bean.

I did not know that the same thing could be done with a corn seed, and the first thing on my mind was “I have to plant this!”.

So, on the evening of the same day, I went back home and planted the two corn seeds into a small pot of soil. You would notice only one shoot because the other one had not sprouted out yet.

When the seeds were first planted into the pot

However, within four days of planting the germinated seed into the pot, and daily religious watering, I noticed a second shoot coming out of the soil! I was so excited because I had not expect that (I had thought that the seed will not grow further). The condition must have been favourable enough for it. I was really glad.

Second sprout appeared
Second sprout appeared

Within another week, the leaves grew speedily and I started to wonder whether I will really be able to grow my own maize at home! I even considered transferring the tiny plants into a bigger pot in time to come.

Two mini corn plants!
Two mini corn plants!
Two mini corn plants!
Two mini corn plants!

Unfortunately, while the plant leaves turned longer, the plants slowly withered away.

It might have been my insufficient care for them.

In another two weeks’ time, the mini plants were already in a dried-up condition.

This was when I learnt from Mrs Chee from our Education Programmes Division that the maize plants in our Ecogarden are also grown in a similar manner, i.e. from corn seeds.

Somehow, I am suddenly spurred to try growing the maize plant again, one day. 🙂

Well, here are some pictures of the 1.5m- 2m tall corn plants that can be found in the Ecogarden of Science Centre Singapore. Each of them have 3-4 ears now!

20130523_174428 small 20130523_174615 small 20130523_174710 small 20130523_174748 small

4 responses to My humble attempt to grow corn seeds

1. Kathleen Neo says:

Dear Kiat Teng, very well illustrated! I like your blog. Thanks! It would be great if the gardener could plant more maize plants at the Science Centre’s Ecogarden. Corns have nutritional values as well as detoxification factors when they are cooked as soup for meals. I love corn ice-cream as well!

Like

2. Kiat Teng says:

Thanks Kathleen! Happy to see your comment. 🙂

There are really a lot of interesting plants at our Ecogarden here!

Like

3. StellaR says:

I like your blog too! I chanced upon it finding info on planting corn in Sg. I hope my seedlings will harvest into corn…

Liked by 1 person

• Goh Kiat Teng says:

Thank you for liking my blog post, Stellar. 🙂 I wish you success in your corn planing journey! It’s really quite amazing!

Like