Not one but two surprises later, we’re left bewildered.

First, the rain. Then, hail! (Say what?!)

Yes, hail! I kid you not.

It bucketed down at about two in the afternoon-much to our delight after we experienced an intense week of haze from the bush fires in Indonesia.

But what transpired was a real surprise! Lashing rain, howling winds and then… pitter patter on the windows… We saw shimmering glass beads on the window sills, and we realised we were experiencing hail!

Here’s a video my boss-Dr Andy Giger shot of the ice crystals that fell our way : )

https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10201032152018636

The hail wasn’t quite the size of five cent coins that were reported in  the last incidents in March 2008 and July 2007, but they still caused quite a stir. I hope my dad’s car which is parked out in the open carpark’s okay! The minute I get off this blogpost, I’m heading down to have a look! In the meantime, do have a read of how NEA reckons hail forms!

Here’s a link to a slideshow of the hailstorms in Western Singapore.
And here’s some pics I captured with my camera. : )

SONY DSCSONY DSC

SONY DSC

Posted by:Thomas Danny Jeyaseelan

I've been working for over 7 years at Science Centre Singapore... a place I've come to call "home" where science befriends and transforms me day by day! I love communications and this blog has given me a terrific opportunity to express myself in writing. I continually aspire to engage the community through my contributions. And would love to hear back from readers like you if you have something interesting to share (please leave a comment!). That would really encourage me! Am also looking forward to hitting the centennial mark with 100 posts. Am nearly 70% there. ;) I hope you have a great online experience on Stir-fried Science, enjoy all science has to offer, and be inspired to make or be the difference you wish to see in the communities you find yourself in.

One thought on “Guess who said Hailoo!