Anechoic Chamber – What’s that?

A*STAR Anechoic Chamber @ Fusionopolis
A*STAR Anechoic Chamber @ Fusionopolis

That was my question when I walked into the A*STAR Anechoic Chamber at Fusionopolis yesterday morning, and the answer was “greater” than what I had expected.

I was fortunate to have the opportunity to join in some students on their visit to various A*STAR laboratories yesterday. We were first greeted by a robot that some of the A*STAR researchers were working on, and it could dance to the Korean song “Gangnam style”, something in fashion recently.

Then, we were briefed on some research work on antennas. As part of this briefing, we were invited to go into the Anechoic Chamber (meaning echo-free chamber), a room filled with absorber material to reflect off electromagnetic waves, where properties of antennas and radiating devices are measured (of course, not when we were inside!).

It awed me because firstly, I did not expect a small flight of stairs to lead me into a huge dark chamber and secondly, I did not know such a huge facility (which I later read to be measuring 8m in length, 3m in width and 3m in height) is required for such testing purpose.

The researcher patiently answered the questions posed by the students who were curious about the structure of the chamber, such as the specific positioning of the absorber material etc.

It was definitely an eye-opening visit for me!