How long can an Aedes egg survive for under dry conditions?

Aedes_albopictusThis question caught my attention in a Facebook contest post by the Ministry of Environment and Water Resources. There was also an enticing hint to get the answers from “The Silent War” YouTube video clip to find out the answer. So, the curious me clicked on the link and off I went, to view a 6 minutes 39 seconds long video which talked about the science behind the fight against dengue.

The video gave an interesting insight into the scientists working in the Environmental Health Institute (EHI), which is also a “World Health Organisation (WHO) Collaborating Centre for Reference and Research of Arbovirus and their Associated Vectors”, and it included some street interviews of people’s opinions regarding the question of whether Aedes eggs can survive without water.

So what do you think?

From the street surveys, most opined doubts that the Aedes eggs can survive in a dry environment. Some said they can do so for two to three days. I thought so too. But the research officer who was interviewed shared that they can survive for up to six months in a dormant state, hatching only when they get wet!

How many of us actually know this?

Hearing this kind of freaks me out, because I recently received a letter from the the National Environment Agency (NEA) that Aedes have been found at my block. So, it means that the Aedes eggs might have survived somewhere in the block and are hatching in this rainy season favourable for their growth.

So what should we do now that we know this? Well, of course, we need to take NEA’s dengue advisory very seriously!

Lastly, if you have not watched the video, you may take a look here.

2 responses to How long can an Aedes egg survive for under dry conditions?

1. shiponko says:

Hello my friend! I want to say that this post is awesome, great written and include approximately all significant infos. I would like to peer extra posts like this .

Like

2. Predicitve says:

Most opinion is that the Aedes eggs can survive in a dry environment. The breeding areas are in areas of stagnant water, such as flower vases, uncovered barrels, buckets, and discarded tires, but the most dangerous areas are wet shower floors and toilet tanks, as they allow the mosquitos to breed in the residence.

Like