Is it a Black Rustic?

My house seems to be a magnet for insects. Beetles, praying mantises, moths, dragonflies. This is on top of the usual ones that you might find.

The latest was a black moth sighted on a pipe on the night of 22 January. It might look a bit like a cockroach from far because of the size, colour and shape. I was startled initially by its presence but was thankful immediately that it had remained still (until I attempted to close the windows and disturbed it a bit). It reacted by darting around the small confined room it was in but soon settled near the ceiling light and hover around it.

I was not surprised to still find it in the same small room the next day morning. As it flew to a lower height, I was able to take a close-up shot of it. Here is the picture I took of it. A sighting has also been posted on iSpied, an online Field Guide that allows you to search and identify what you have spotted.

After doing some research online, I thought this moth looks similar to the Black Rustic (see this picture here), even though I couldn’t really be sure as the Black Rustic seems to be a European moth. What do you think?

Close-up shot of black moth
Close-up shot of black moth

2 responses to Is it a Black Rustic?

1. Mei Bao says:

Can’t say for sure, but it sure looks very similar to the Black Rustic as you mentioned… could be brought in from overseas, an “illegal immigrant” haha!

Like

2. Kiat Teng says:

Haha…illegal immigrant? Wow, I hope it can survive then…. such different climate!

Like