20140505_151928_resized_1Day two’s started.

I’m in Brunei attending the Asia Pacific Network of Science & Technology Centres (ASPAC) Conference in the opulent Empire Hotel & Country Club.

This conference has all the hallmarks of a great learning experience.

I was stoked this morning to be seated next to a bloke with more than 33 years of science comm experience under his belt – none other than Dr Stuart Kohlhagen PSM from Questacon.

This man oozes wisdom – a modern science yoda! I liked him straight away. For one, he’s from the Great South Land (Australia – where I had a terrific time studying). Two, he’s decked in cargo shorts which makes me feel good in my torn jeans, surrounded by a company of skirts and suits at today’s Opening session. And third and best of all, validates the individual and the work he or she does as he connects with people and shares his thoughts about science communication today.

It was terrific to hear from him how he first had a great impression of Science Centre Singapore when he read about its offerings in a Singapore Scientist magazine some 25 years ago!

Stuart shared his thoughts about exhibit design.

He reckons its good to create a culture of innovation, which in the area of exhibitions, begins at the stage of exhibit design! At the very head and not the tail end of production.

We need to build exhibits that allow for people to tinker and manipulate their learning outcomes. And perhaps rely less on exhibits that communicate static science content solely through panels which tend to inhibit creativity and self-exploration.

He also added that guided tours shouldn’t be a one-way push of communication but rather a two-way flow where the explainer whips out a tool kit to ask questions to allow for the exploration of scientific ideas.

This form of communication should extend to any form of floor interaction with visitors.

Well, that’s just the tip of what we’ve gleaned from ‘fireside chats’ with Stuart.

Stay tuned as there’ll be more sharings to follow!

Checking out, this is Danny from the 400,000-pple strong Brunei in bushfire season, a gorgeous hotel and an interesting ASPAC conference.

Thanks for reading! 🙂

20140505_151842_Richtone(HDR)_resized

Posted by:Thomas Danny Jeyaseelan

I've been working for over 7 years at Science Centre Singapore... a place I've come to call "home" where science befriends and transforms me day by day! I love communications and this blog has given me a terrific opportunity to express myself in writing. I continually aspire to engage the community through my contributions. And would love to hear back from readers like you if you have something interesting to share (please leave a comment!). That would really encourage me! Am also looking forward to hitting the centennial mark with 100 posts. Am nearly 70% there. ;) I hope you have a great online experience on Stir-fried Science, enjoy all science has to offer, and be inspired to make or be the difference you wish to see in the communities you find yourself in.

6 replies on “Meeting Stuart (not so little)

1. Great presentation at ASPAC today Danny! Very interesting and engaging- I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on this blog now that I know about it. 😉

Like

1. Amy! what a surprise to hear from you! and thank you for the kind comment! Yes, do have a read of our articles from time to time and feel free to contribute something of interest to you or Scitech whenever time allows! I’m wearing the Scitech band you gave me at this very moment! : p~

Nick and you may well feature in my next post! 😉

Like

2. Dear Danny, thanks for sharing, the Brunei Hotel is so gorgeous & beautiful! I like the point you mentioned on the guided tour. Enjoy the ASPAC Conference and look forward to your next post from Brunei. Thanks & take care!

Like

1. Hi Kathleen!

Many thanks for tuning in to Stir-friend Science!
      Very kind of you to leave a comment on this article! I had a great time learning at the Conference and am happy to share what I gleaned from it in future posts as well as in person!

Stay tuned!

Like