Butterfly fervour

I had wanted to share some of these photos about half a year ago (or slightly more than that).

These were taken at the Insectarium in our Ecogarden. It was a September morning, and the first time I stepped into the Insectarium. Mr Tan, our dedicated gardener, gave me a guided tour. It was exciting to check out the place, amidst some unusual excitement happening in my Department then (A native palms mini-exhibition, Launch of a Guidebook, MacRitchie Reservoir trail). I stayed for a while looking at both caterpillars and butterflies that Mr Tan pointed out to me. The caterpillars are camouflaged well and I would probably miss them on my own. It is a pity my camera phone wasn’t able to capture the photos as nicely as I wish.

While at the Ecogarden in the same morning, I also managed to take some photos of butterflies fluttering around a snake plant right in front of the garden. That was one rare occasion for me, to see the butterflies in action at the Ecogarden. Later, I realised timing is very important to be able to observe the butterflies. I usually like to visit the Ecogarden in the evening and have not seen the butterflies before.

The recent discussion about our upcoming butterfly exhibition at Science Centre has reminded me of my excitement last September. Checking in with the exhibition project officer June, I was told that the details will be out really soon. It’s about a few months away and I’m really looking forward. We’ll keep the exhibition title a mystery at the moment, but we welcome any guesses that you might want to throw our way!

8 responses to Butterfly fervour

1. Sanjali says:

That’s how I felt about my first visit at the Insectarium too! If you don’t know what to look for, it’s easy to miss those butterflies fluttering around.
    I can’t wait till this exhibition is out, it’s going to amazing! 😀

Like

2. Kiat Teng says:

This seems to be a season for butterflies. From my place, I can see plenty flying around the crown of trees.

Time to check out the Ecogarden again!

Like

3. Danny says:

Twas a similar experience for me too! Looking for them at the right time of day is critical in spotting these flitting beauties. Although I quickly realised that keeping still was just as important! By the way, I realised that the Milkweed Butterfly that you’ve highlighted above has been featured in an edition of the Singapore Scientist in the Nature Detectives section! 😉

Like

• Kiat Teng says:

Thanks for sharing the name of the butterfly, Danny!

It looks common to me but I wasn’t sure about the name. 🙂

Like

• Danny says:

You’re welcome Kiat Teng! The second butterfly featured in your post below closely resembles an Orange Skipper on the snakeweed plant. I’m pretty certain that’s it! 😉

Like

4. SK says:

The ID of that “milkweed butterfly” is Plain Tiger (Danaus chrysippus chrysippus). It is a common butterfly in Singapore due to the cultivation of its caterpillars host plants – Asclepias currasavica and Calotropis gigantea. You may want to refer to ButterflyCircle’s online checklist if you would like to know more about the different species of butterflies we have in Singapore – http://www.butterflycircle.com/checklist/

Like