What I like about Interplay Exhibition

Nguyen Pham Dan Anh is a Secondary 4 student who underwent an internship at Science Centre Singapore (SCS) in June 2015. She has written this blog post during her internship at SCS.

Do you remember the last time your mom comes storming into your room and yell at you because you were making a mess?

No one is going to be mad at you in this playground that I’m going to introduce. Let out your inner child and curiosity when you wander around the numerous high-tech, amazing, and intriguing display for you to fiddle with, and keep on asking ‘How did they come up with this?’

When I entered the exhibition, my gaze was immediately set upon the Kinetic Light Sculpture, a clever design incorporating art, light and physics. Who doesn’t love that?

Yet that is not my favorite. The exhibit I fell in love with was Game Border by Jun Fujiki. I used to love playing Super Mario on my uncle’s PC (one of those with a really big box for a monitor). Gaming is not my forte. However, it is no doubt that I got sucked into the game. I was taken back in time to meet the grandfather of video game. The objective is to get the character from the very first-generation simple gaming console to themodern-day XBox Kinect platform. Controlling my character through different gaming platforms help me realize that fun is when you’re enjoying what you do and the platform doesn’t really matter. The important thing is to think outside of the box.

Another must-see is definitely the wonderful, colourful, spectacular and completely…Useless Box. Yes! The Useless Box is simple machines inside colourful, funky boxes. There are switches, which are irresistible. Switch it on and a mechanical hand will slowly emerge from a box. You will find yourself in a constant battle with the machine as you switch it on repeatedly. Useless as it sounds, the boxes are bound to get on your competitive side and leave you in awe of the ingenious idea.

Also worth mentioning is Collective Six. This exhibit is particularly popular among visitors, and I can see why. It was most fun running back and forth, dancing up and down, jumping here and there, doing a cartwheel, or jazz hand gestures, then seeing the colourful image on the screen. The playback images represent the shadow we leave behind after everything we do.

The exhibition was very entertaining and educational. I am looking forward to visit it again.