Grooming tomorrow’s innovators today!

Written by Swapna Haresh

Young Scientists

Smartly attired in their personalised lab coats, 36 Primary School students presented their Science projects to visitors at the Marquee in Science Centre Singapore on a bright Sat morning on 12 Aug 2017. The entire room was abuzz with all the excited chatter and enthusiasm of the students and visitors alike!

ABBOTT_2
Primary five student, Nurul Shazzlin, showcasing her project at the Presentation Ceremony.
ABBOTT_1
Nurul Shazzlin (left) and Rifqah Mawaddah (right) at their booths ready to present their Science projects.

The event was a culmination of this year’s Abbott Young Scientist Programme, in which students are mentored by Science Centre staff as they pursue experiments of their own.

The Abbott Young Scientist Programme supported by international healthcare firm Abbott, together with Science Centre Singapore, celebrates their fifth year of successful partnership.

Being a mentor…

This 6-month long journey has been both inspirational and emotional. Watching my mentees grow as confident young innovators of the future was truly heartening. This enriching experience has shed light on the true impact of the role of a mentor. A mentor’s role is not merely limited to providing one’s mentee with adequate support and guidance, but also to promote the overall growth and development of the mentee. I have learnt that as a mentor, I should always aim to stretch and nurture young minds to harness their fullest potential.

When asked about their experience on being a part of this year’s Abbott Young Scientist Programme, one of my mentees, Nurul Shazzlin, mentioned that – “My overall experience was great because many of the experiments that I did at Science Centre, I would not have been able to do at school”.

This programme provides opportunities for students to be engaged beyond the classroom and allows their creativity to inspire them towards a topic of interest that they would like to work on.

As for Rifqah Mawaddah, my other mentee, she stated that “although I understand that this programme is meant to promote interest in Science, I feel that I have gained much more than that.

I have understood the meaning of discipline, friendship and happiness better”. With outcomes like these at the end of the day, it is no doubt that this programme has been growing from strength to strength each year.

ABBOTT_5
From left to right: Nurul Shazzlin (Mentee), Swapna Haresh (Mentor), Rifqah Mawaddah (Mentee) proudly wearing their lab coats to present their Science projects.

For more events like these, do visit Science Centre Singapore and our ongoing Singapore Science Festival for inspiration!